New Birds in my Collection from Rogers Reservoir

Today is a biking day at Rogers Reservoir Conservation Area and East Gwillimbury trails. Unfortunately, it was also a cloudy day, meaning there was not enough light for good photo shooting. However, I was lucky to identify new birds and add them to my collection, including the Belted Kingfisher [Ceryle alcyon] shown on the first photo.

At first, we saw kingfishers flying in pairs along the Holland River. Were not able to identify at first—until they perched. Once 'the bird sat down on the branch, I knew it was definitely a kingfisher; however, I didn't know what species. The brownish underpart was something I needed to remember, but then I got about 100 photos of him; what do I need to worry about remembering.
Later, biking home by McKenzie Marsh, I shot a photo of the female Belted Kingfisher. This is definitely a good fishing day for me.
Along with many other birds (woodpeckers, kingbirds, swallows, herons, crows, starlings, robins, warblers, finches, red-winged black birds, terns, goose, and ducks), animals (one dead mouse and a live otter), and vegetation, I took a really bad picture of a White-Breasted Nuthatch [Sitta carolinensis]. Very distinct white face, black eyes, black cap, blue-gray underparts, and white patches in the blue-black tail. Even though it is a bad photo, here it is, just in case I got it all wrong.
Rogers Reservoir Conservation Area

Rogers Reservoir Conservation Area is located on the Holland River about 1 km South of the Mount Albert Road on the 2nd Concession and spans over 96 hectares in East Gwillimbury Town, Ontario. Great for hiking, biking, and fishing. This low-water reservoir and marsh attract many different waterfowl, marsh birds, and other birds. If you like birding, this is definitely the place. One lock of the 'ghost canal' system is located in this conservation area. It was built in 1911 to accommodate shipping between Newmarket and Lake Simcoe. Unfortunately, it was never used, and the remnants of the abandoned canal are now part of the park.

~ Anna

Comments