Stork Myth

Birds do not bring babies; however, the old myth is that white storks used to bring babies and drop them through the chimney. Unlike humans, birds lay eggs and sit on them to keep them warm until they hatch, a process called incubating the eggs. I think with all the hiking and observing nature, I am getting better or just lucky finding nests. The most successful find was the nest of the Eastern Kingbird.
Now that I finally figured out what they are, I see them everywhere. Quite a nice bird to watch, especially when you see them on the grasslands and sitting on the fence pole. I was lucky to get a photo of the nest. Both the male and female were hovering over my head.

I went home and did some reading about this bird. I have learned that they are aggressive birds, especially when defending their territory, and will sometimes land on the back of bigger birds and peck and pull their feathers. I was lucky that this did not happen to us.

~ Anna

Comments