Auroras, the Colourful Lights in the Sky

Auroras are beautiful, bright displays of light, usually at night over the North and South Poles. The aurora that appears above the North Pole is called the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights), and the aurora that appears above the South Pole is called the Aurora Australis (Southern Lights).

I have been hearing that the Northern Lights above the Arctic Circle are nature's most beautiful sites. Technically speaking, auroras are caused by streams of charged particles from the Sun, also known as solar winds. These particles come from solar eruptions. The collision of these solar winds with the gases of Earth's atmosphere causes the aurora to illuminate and shimmer.

The different colours are due to the gas and its location in the sky, and the stronger the solar winds, the better the aurora display effect is.

Personally, I have not been able to photograph the Auroras yet. One day, if I find them, I will capture their shimmering and bright feelings.

And after I capture these, maybe I will move on to supernovae or quasars, or maybe not. Quasars are the most distant known objects in the universe; there is no way I can capture them with my camera.

Do not be fooled here; the image below is not real and probably does not look real either; it is a digital creation.

~ Anna

Comments