Aurora My Town - Introduction

I have decided to give some attention to my town, Aurora, Ontario, especially the nature aspect. Sometimes we forget, but Aurora, being a small town, has so much to offer when it comes to nature, wildlife, and people.

I have been living in Aurora, Ontario, on St. John's Sideroad, East of McKenzie Marsh, for about 10 years now. It seems like yesterday when I moved into a newly built house in a 1-year-old subdivision. However, during those 10 years, a lot happened in Aurora, and the best thing was the McKenzie Marsh Development Project.

I was at first skeptical about the project, especially the road closures and construction that caused me to travel extra distances for some time.

I guess I did not have much appreciation for the marsh land at that time; all I saw were ducks, Canada Goose and kids skating during the winter times. And how exciting can this be?

Now, guess what? I am a regular visitor on early weekend mornings (with my husband) carrying my heavy-duty camera. It is not a coincidence anymore when familiar faces meet. The road widening and construction of the boardwalk opened up a lot more opportunities for viewers to experience. On a regular basis, we see wild animals and a lot of birds.

Just listing what I spotted during the walks: Great Blue Heron, Double-Crested Cormorants, Fisherking, Cedar Waxwing, Eastern Kingbird, Killdear, Northern Flicker, Canada Goose, American Robin (mid-photo), Red-Wing Blackbird, Gold Finch, House Finch, House Sparrow, Common Grackles, Brown Head Cow Bird, Crows, Trumpeter Swan, Malard Duck, Caspian Tern, Gull (bottom photo), Starling (top photo), and there are probably many more.

I will be posting images of all birds or wild animals I photographed at the McKenzie Marsh in the past year since the opening of the boardwalk.
Note, that Aurora was the childhood home of Lester B. Pearson, Prime Minister of Canada from 1963-1968. Nothing to do with the birds, LOL.

~ Anna

Comments

Hi, Anna, fellow blogger, Robert Hruzek, challenged me to write a post on my Home Town which I did. His idea was to include blogs on home towns around the world. This post certainly fits that challenge. If you link to his challenge he will add you on to his intriging blog and many of his visistors will meet you...

Here's my post: http://brainbasedbiz.blogspot.com/2007/07/east-koy-four-corners-my-home-town.html


Here's his recent post where he published several and extended the invitation...
http://middlezonemusings.com/my-home-town-the-grand-world-tour/