Driving Home Surprises

I am fortunate to carpool every day to work. This allows me to keep my camera on my lap and shoot anything unusual. We were heading home around eight o'clock in the evening yesterday, and first we noticed a groundhog on the side of the road eating dinner. I shot a few photos and wondered what he was doing in a busy industrial area on a busy traffic road. Well, to our surprise, this was also his home—the 'hole' home was right beside him, blocked by vegetation.
Usually animals of a good size are hard to see on the side of the road, like this groundhog or deer, which I saw the other day. I have no photo. Sometimes I am not ready, but that is okay because I can really enjoy nature then.

Sometimes, I have observed birds on the side of the road. One interesting thing I observed was that smaller birds like to fly with or play with larger birds. One episode was Hawk (not sure what kind of hawk, probably Red-Tail Hawk), with American Robin singing his life away high up on the powerline post. And yesterday, there was Blue Jay with Crow again sitting on the power lines. The most common episode I see is Red-Winged blackbirds flying with crows. For some time, I believed that the Red-Winged Black birds were juvenile crows.
Aside from the nature observations, it looks like someone borrowed a shopping cart from the local store and left it at the nearest intersection.
[Photos: Markham, Ontario; Aurora, Ontario, Canada]

~ Anna

Comments