Moon Photography: How To Take Photos of the Moon - Handy Tip

An updated version of how to take photos of the moon can be found here:

"A Bit of Knowledge: How To Take Photos of the Moon—A Handy Tip For DSLR Cameras"

Since many of you asked how to take moon photos, here are some general instructions. I hope they are useful for you to start with; however, you need to practice and find out what works best for you. These are not written in stone, so feel free to play with the settings on your camera. The instructions are based on the settings of my Canon EOS 20D, but the terminology is universal for other cameras, so you should not have any issues with settings or following this procedure.

I will be glad to hear from you, and if you find better settings or options than these, please share them, as well as any stunning moon effects you get. I am planning to take moon pictures for some time to get the complete lunar cycle, assuming the skies are not overcast.

Instructions are based on the Canon EOS 20D SLR Digital Camera and a 75-300mm or 100-400mm telephoto zoom lens.

Full Moon, July 29, 2007 (Aurora, Ontario, Canada)

CAMERA SETTINGS

Ensure that the camera is stable (rest on a hard surface or tripod); however, I was able to get away with any kind of support.

Change Metering Mode (the most important item on the list).

> Change to Partial
Set Exposure Program

> Change to Shutter Priority (Tv) , camera will choose an appropriate aperture (Av)
> Adjust Shutter Priority speed to 1/400 sec or 1/800 sec, 400 or 800 number on the menu.

Set ISO Speed

> Change ISO speed to ISO-1600.

Set Exposure Compensation

> Scroll to the left, -1 step

Set Focal Length (zoom)

> Extend lens to Max (300mm, or 400mm in my case)

File Properties for Reference:
Note: I also noted that if I only set the Metering Mode to Partial and leave program mode in P (on my camera), the camera will do the rest. I was able to take photos in P mode, and they came out acceptable.

OTHER NOTES

These are my settings; however, you may want to play with the numbers on your camera in the above-specified ranges to get your optimum photo quality. I change them all the time.

Remember to switch the camera back to your standard settings; otherwise, you may take this 'precious moment' with the wrong settings.

Note, the terminology is universal, and even though I am using a Canon EOS 20D camera, the same settings can be applied to other brands of SLRs or other digital cameras with higher zoom capabilities.

PHOTOSHOP TIPS

My Canon EOS 20D SLR takes soft-textured images; to add a bit of sharpness, you can play with the following Adobe Photoshop settings (other software may have that feature also):

Filter>Sharpen>Unsharp Mask
>> Set Amount to 100%
>> Radius set to 1.0 pixels
>> Threshold 0 levels
Radius can be adjusted based on the image's size and resolution. However, these are almost perfect settings for all images.

REFERENCES

'EOS 20D Cannon Digital Camera Manual', by Canon

~ Anna

Comments

Bob Johnson said…
Good stuff, will you be taking a pic of the total lunar eclipse August 28?, I will be trying, I always have bad luck with the clouds.
myonlyphoto said…
Bob, I guess I will now - I don't know much about lunar eclipse but will I be able to see from Ontario (40 min from Toronto)?
There is also an event on Aug 12-13 - the meteor shower, check this out
Perseids 2007
Bob Johnson said…
Yes you will be able to see the eclipse starting at 4:20am August 28, I blog about both the Perseids and the eclipse on some earlier posts on my blog
final_transit said…
This is one of the most useful tutorials I found. Its impossible to take a picture of moon and surroundings together with my camera though :(
Your blog is wonderful Anna, I'm latching on to your feed.

- Priyank
Anonymous said…
Wow, awesome blog post. I never knew how to take photos of the moon! It always ended up blurry!

Anna, thanks for commenting my "new" layout. :)
Anonymous said…
Do you know how to take a low lying 3/4 moon but with the bushes also clear with road light?

Michael
myonlyphoto said…
Thanks Michael for your comment. That seems like a interesting scenario. I am not sure what I would do, but this would be great photo to take with wide angle lens. I have 100-400mm lens, and to capture so much into my view I would have to be really far away. Not sure how to handle the street lights, a tripod would help. Sorry I am not much help in this scenario. Anna :)
Clinton Riddle said…
I shoot with a Nikon D7000 and have always had trouble shooting the Moon. Suggestions? :/