Meteor Shower - Its Not Easy to Photograph

I really enjoyed watching the meteor shower (Perseid's Meteor Shower) with my naked eye. My first one was very bright and short, and then followed by few small ones. I also encountered some bright one and long - right across the sky. The one I saw with my naked eye I did not have chance to capture, but I captured some after all. At first I tried my Sigma wide angle lens hoping I will be able to snap nice piece of sky, but that did not work. However, I got somehow nice photo of the Big Dipper.
Big Dipper, Sky Over Aurora, Ontario, Canada, Aug 12, 2007, 11:54 PM EST

Please note this is my first time ever I actually attempted to photograph the sky, and actually stayed up for few hours. Next time I hope that I can get better grip handling the camera, settings and choice of lens, so I can spend more time aiming. Aiming is difficult because you cannot predict where it will show up - only roughly. Since the wide angle lens was not giving me what I wanted, I had to move on with my 28-80mm lens. This did not give me clear image but stars were more apparent. I kept my shutter opening variable, sometimes for 30 sec, and sometimes for 10 sec, however, I clicked and clicked. Well I think I captured two meteors as you can see on the two photos below. Not that spectacular but hey better than nothing. I believe these are meteors because the first one showed some fading. The second one is more a straight line, but this is because the shutter opening expired, so did not catch the rest.

Sky Over Aurora, Ontario, Canada, Aug 13, 2007, 02:07 AM EST
Sky Over Aurora, Ontario, Canada, Aug 13, 2007, 02:20 AM EST

I also captured few other things. One of them the Earth moving, not shown here. Found that out by playing the photographs in sequence, which I took every 10 or 30 sec. Then I also saw some stuff moving around - I think they were satellites. I saw two synchronized as you will see on two photos below in sequence, and the third one I captured at different time. The shutter was opened for 10 sec. Note smooth straight line for these, as the object was moving at steady speed, not like the meteors zooming by. It was kind of cool following those on the sky, and those cost me a couple of meteors.

Sky Over Aurora, Ontario, Canada, Aug 13, 2007, 03:31 AM EST
Sky Over Aurora, Ontario, Canada, Aug 13, 2007, 03:32 AM EST
Sky Over Aurora, Ontario, Canada, Aug 13, 2007, 03:37 AM EST

Overall, the photograph cannot capture the feeling watching the sky bombarded with long bright tails of the meteors. So next time when you out there watching the sky at night take it to the fullest.

Note I had to adjust contrast or sharpness on the photos so you can see better.

Comments

S-V-H said…
Thank you so much to sharing these pictures with us. We had RAIN in Key West!! To bad...!
Anonymous said…
Cool! My daughter & I stayed up last night too, it was great to be with her when she saw her first "falling" star!
Anonymous said…
It's been cloudy every night here so I'm very envious of your stargazing! I'm going to sit on the fire escape tonight if it's fine and watch for stragglers. Your lovely pictures have inspired me not to give up hope :)
myonlyphoto said…
Sue may be next time I can capture better pictures - still in the learning mode. Thanks for your post. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Lynne, it was really nice to watch the falling stars. Glad that both of you had fun. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Bird, don't give up. I almost had clouds but it cleard out - we had some passing clouds very light, and funny I capture them on the photos. Good luck, and even if you don't see meteors there is lot more to see out there.
Bob Johnson said…
Way to go!!, I'm envious, big time, I saw a few big meteors, one was right in front of me, actually yellow, and you could see the vapour trail, too cool. Can hardly wait for the Lunar eclipse Aug 28.
Puddock said…
These are great pics! Well done.

We had cloud here by the pond. :( Never mind - maybe next year.
myonlyphoto said…
Did anyone see this:
http://videomedianews.blogspot.com/2007/08/perseid-meteor-shower.html
NYCindividual said…
I watched it too! I must have seen at least 5 satelites! I saw several small meteors and a few big ones. I got up at 3:30 AM in the morning to watch it. I wish I could capture photos like that! I have a really nice camera that I have no idea how to use! Whenever I try to take night photos they turn out way too dark and blurry. I'm jealous!
You did a marvelous job with the Perseid meteor shower. In Northern MI we had cloudy skies and I only saw three short bursts and one bright one.

Thanks so much for capturing a show!!!

JJ
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
myonlyphoto said…
NYCindividual - I myself just recently started to take photos. I have SLR, not sure what you have, but I am sure that you can figure out. It takes some time; your manual may have something for night shots. Anyway, the Big Dipper I took, I had wide angle lens and I set my camera to landscape mode. The most important is that you put your camera on the tripod, and if you don't have one, what I do I just place my camera on the ground facing the sky and click the trigger. The blur is if you move. And if your shutter is closed for 5 or more seconds then under movement you will see line. I hope I explained simple. If you asked me anything about night stuff may be 2 months ago, I couldn't answer. Patience my friend and you will succeed.
Brian H. Gill said…
Very well done, technically and aesthetically.

It is somewhere between hard, and impossible, to capture the sensation of a deep night sky.

Alas! I live in what is, for me, a heavily built-up area: central Minnesota. I have yet to find an place where there aren't lights illuminating the sky.

Thanks for the pictures.