Moon Photography: Aug 28,2007 Lunar Eclipse Over Aurora, ON

I think it is time to show off my Total Lunar Eclipse results for August 28, 2007. This is the first time I have actually watched and photographed this event. Here is the outline of the event a few hours later. I guess I needed some time to rest, probably from the excitement and fresh air. The sky was just perfect; I couldn't ask for any better 'night weather', and not just the sky but a nice and cool, breezy night here in Aurora, Ontario. When I was watching the full moon around 3 a.m., I had a small visitor hovering around me—it was a skunk. I got kind of scarred at first when I noticed him about 1.5 meters away, but then he was doing his stuff and did not mind my presence and eventually disappeared behind the neighbour's fence.
Aurora, Ontario, Aug 28, 2007, 04:40 AM EST
Aurora, Ontario, Aug 28, 2007, 05:09 AM EST
Aurora, Ontario, Aug 28, 2007, 05:30 AM EST

When the Lunar Eclipse started, I could not photograph it from my backyard, but my bedroom window turned out to be a perfect setup for some coverage. As the moon started to be shadowed more and more and kept moving behind the houses, I needed to get out. I drove to the local playground, 800 meters away from my house. Hey, I did not want to take more chances with other wild animals around. Mind you, even though every human on my street was sleeping, I wasn't alone; the wildlife, not visible but hearable, was there. As the moon was disappearing in the shadow, I was going to end up with this small, thin crescent with total darkness around it. I started to adjust settings, that is, play with my Tv and Av adjustments. The result was this reddish moon. Unfortunately, to the naked eye, the moon was dark brown and hard to see. I anticipated more visibility, but I guess the camera was able to process a better image. Maybe next time I will do my homework before an event like that. After all, I was happy with what I got. For better results, visit Bob's blog, Blackholes and Astrostuff; he was another person on this planet that I know who was up that night to take pictures of the Lunar Eclipse - Total Lunar Eclipse.
Lunar Eclipse, Aurora, Ontario, Canada, Aug 28, 2007, 06:05 AM EST

Eventually, I lost view of the moon due to the rising sun and fog. But I cannot complain; the morning was beautiful, and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Pinnacle Trail, Aurora, Ontario, Canada, Aug 28, 2007, 06:12 AM EST

I knew the sun was around the corner, but I just shot a few pictures of the red sky and started to pack up. The humans finally started to wake up, and thus there was more traffic on the road. I had fun at some point because some cars would slow down as they passed me, either because they were interested in what I was doing or because they thought it was a speed trap. I should have set my camera on the close-by stop sign because no one stops there, probably because it is called Rush Road. So this is my first experience photographing the Lunar Eclipse on Aug 28, 2007.
Sun Rising, Aurora, Ontario, Canada, Aug 28, 2007, 06:27 AM EST

Enjoy!

~ Anna

Comments

kml said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
kml said…
Sorry about the post - spelling errors. I just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed viewing your eclipse photos!
myonlyphoto said…
Thanks, kml for the post. I came out little late with my post, but the staying up almost all night, and beautiful night and morning, and fresh air put me to sleep until afternoon. Anna :)
Bob Johnson said…
Excellent job Anna!nice red on your moon. Wasn't that fun!,lol. I now am looking forward to the coming aurigids meteor shower at 5:30am Saturday my time, 4:30am PDT, too bad you'll miss them.
Scruffyhippo said…
Brilliant pictures as I had expected, I have never really seen an eclipse, only in pictures, one day I hope to get the chance and the honour of being present when it happens.
myonlyphoto said…
Bob, what do you mean I am not going to see the aurigids meteor shower lol. Well, I think I need a bit break - two main events in one year is more than I asked for. Thanks for the comment, and I will be waiting for you to provide full report on the aurigids meteor shower, and anything else that I don't see. May be I will play with the constellations next.
Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Hi Peter, thanks for the comment. I think next lunar eclipse is in Feb 2008. Should talk to Bob from Blackholes and Astrostuff he will be able to tell you if you can see it in your area - see his link in this post. It was quite spiritual moment...Anna :)
S-V-H said…
Anna,
you did a wonderful great job with these fantastic moon pictures - and your outdoor adventures.
I enjoyed to look to your pictures very much, like always I do, when I read your blog.
Max-e said…
Great post and pictures of the eclipse
Fantabulous!!! We had cloud cover and a nasty morning thunderstorm. Your photos make me feel like I was right there. :D

Hugs, JJ
Helen Read said…
Hi Anna, beautiful photos... I really love the moon and an eclipse is just great drama! I had to smile about your little visitor! I used to have a pet skunk... but it was de-scented and very much a lap skunk! (very sweet). Thanks for visiting my blog!
Anonymous said…
Hi Anna, gotta say your pics of the eclipse are great! As usual I really enjoy visiting your blog. Keep up the great work!
PA said…
Great pics, if it had happened at 3 in the morning down here I probably wouldn't have gotten up, started around 9:30pm here.

But it was pretty cool to see it.
Anonymous said…
Hi Anna, I loved your pics really, amazing! And was so sorry that here in Europe we couldn't see this Total Lunar Eclipse, but we'll have better chancce in February I hope, unless the weather is too bad, which could be expected, but hope keep us going ;)
BTW, all of your pics are beautiful, not only the Eclipse ;)
myonlyphoto said…
After the lunar eclipse, I needed a break, and here I am back and I will be working on my blogging.

Thank you all for visiting.

Sue, as always thank you for your comments, and I will see you on your blog.

Max-e, thanks for visiting, glad you enjoyed my photos.

Nature Nut /JJ Loch thank you for your comment. I am glad that you felt that way.

smaugslayer thank for visit and comments.

Hi helen, I think my visitor is my friend now, hope the initiation to his circle is not by spraying. Nice to hear that you had pet like that. Thanks for your comments and visit.

Hi anonymous. BTW everyone anonymous is my second half, just little shy lol.

Rand, good to hear that you were able to see lunar eclipse yourself. On my side for any rare event I will do anything - and I did, I line up to see pope at 2 am, I did 24 hours exercise marathon for Easter Seals, I traveled to Singapore for straight 30 hours, and I was up for the lunar eclipse, and there will be many many more...cheers.

Hi tatiana, thank you for visiting. Sorry to hear that you were not able to see it. I tried to do coverage of lunar eclipse, because I am not sure about cold weather photography in february, we get really cold weather around that time....thanks for your comment.

Again, thank you all for visiting.

Anna :)
Jaya said…
Lovely photos! I enjoyed watching the eclipse here in New Mexico too. Good to hear the skunk was a friendly sort! I've never seen a skunk in my yard, but I know they do come through, because now and then my dog comes in STINKING from a close encounter. And I see skunks when I'm driving to work at night, usually on one particular street they seem to favor.
myonlyphoto said…
Hi Jaya, thanks for visiting and your nice comments....and believe or not the skunk favors my street and my backyard...and he definitely marks his territory with his scent, because the cats, squirrels, raccoons, and Roger rabbit is now gone, lol. Anna :)
lissa said…
Wow! These are great. I wish my had turn out better. Just wonderful!
Roswila said…
Wonderful photos! I did not see the eclipse (probably would not have been able to see it all that well anyway here in the northeast USA). So these photos are very welcome, indeed. Checked out some of your other photos, too. Delicious!

BTW, I found your site via scruffyhippo's participation in BLOG DAY 2007.
myonlyphoto said…
Hi lissa and Roswila, nice to see your comments here. This was cool project to work on. Anna :)
Unknown said…
Great photos of the eclipse. Unfortunately, I was away at the time of the eclipse and couldn't even get hold of a camera!

I use a Fujifilm S9600 (9MP, 10.7x zoom) digital camera for my photography (I'm not quite ready to go SLR yet!), so I'm not sure how good my chances are of getting a good photo of the moon is anyway.

After seeing your photos, I think I might try to get some moon photos too, with 9MP one should be able to digitally zoom enough anyway....

Great photos on your site, you have a great eye for photography.

David
davids-pics.blogspot.com
myonlyphoto said…
David, thanks for visiting and your comments. Currently we have three digital camera's at home, including SLR. But SLR out performs all pocket one and the 12x zoom. If you can one day get SLR you will see the difference in quality. I have Canon with CMOS sensor that supposed to produce softer photo texture. I think the other are CCD sensor where images are much sharper. Anyway, I really like my SLR, but for convenience I like the portables too, because if there is anything exciting going on I don't want to miss it. Anna :)