My First Merlin

We spotted Merlin accidentally—not recently, but during one of our biking trips. He was sitting up high on the tree, just waiting for a picture to be taken. It took me a while to figure out what it was, but then, with the help of other birders from the bird forum, I learned this was a Merlin from the falcon family. If you look up close, one can see he is waving with his right foot.
I am currently working on my birding list, and I have about eighty birds identified. This list includes what I saw in the wild, at the zoo, or in captivity. I still have to add a few birds that I saw in Singapore by visiting the Jurong Bird Park. Actually, it will probably be another fifty or seventy birds. I have an older post that shows some birds from the bird park. You will be scared of this prehistoric lookalike, the Shoebill.

I just realized it's been four days since my last post. So what happened? My Internet was down. We currently have a digital phone; the price was great, but can you trust the new technology yet? Apparently not. We are pretty good at buying new tech toys later in the cycle, but this time we got sucked in too early. So far, so good after the service, but will it last? And if you really want to know, our digital phone was causing our Internet to go down because of a too-strong signal. So when the Internet goes down, our phone goes down. How sweet. Oh well, I am back and ready to blog again before things get disconnected.

~ Anna

Comments

S-V-H said…
Very nice post, Anna. I like the bird and I think we have some too down here in the Keys.
Peter said…
I love the image here plus the sunset image from your previous post. It reminds me of the time, my wife and I, went up to Darwin to see our son shortly after his marriage. The wild life there and the Darwin sunset (like the one in your previous post) are unique. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and images.
Anonymous said…
Wow, Anna, a beautiful picture. I had always thought the Merlin and the American Kestrel, (which we have a lot of in Southern Oregon), were the same bird, but something about your picture looked different. I researched it and found the following site which explains the difference.

http://xrl.us/6q45

-Will
Wow.. Anna. Your photo is very cool. It looks like the bird is gonna step out of the tree.
Anna,

Gorgeous pic!!! We missed you!!! You must have been pacing back and forth in front of the phone.
Hugs, JJ
myonlyphoto said…
Hi Susanne, I think one day I will have to plan a trip to your place one day - looks like you have everything, for us sometimes its like finding a needle in the hay stock...lol. Thanks for you comments, appreciated. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Hi Peter, thanks for your comments. Yeah, love the sun photo too, I was very lucky to have that opportunity, however very little time because we could see the sun going down front of our eyes. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Hi Will, thanks for your comments and the link. We thought that may have been American Kestrel family (someone told me do not pay too much attention to plumage because varies from age to age of the bird), but then American Kestrel has unique colors. Thanks for the link, it was very useful. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
DigitalShutterMania I think it was stepping out the tree, lol, thanks for your comments. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
jj you just could imagine my heart beat - just like stock market lol. Thanks for visiting as always and I missed everyone too, Anna :)
kml said…
Glad it was just technical and that you are OK.

Love the pic of the Merlin - he's even tucking his leg in - which means he wasn't frightened by you. Good job!!
Willshiresllc said…
That's strange about your phone. I have brighthouse and have never had any problems with the digital phone part. Cable has only went out twice in three years too. Lovely bird photos BTW. :-)
Max-e said…
Anna, with your passion for photographing birds you would go mad here. I often disappear for hours trying to get the perfect shot, but some of the local bird residents are not cooperative like your merlin
myonlyphoto said…
Kathy, Internet still goes down, I am narrowing down to overheating the modem. Thanks for the comment abour Merlin, I guess since I been interested in birding, all birds come to me lol. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Hey Bill that what happens when you buy technology from someone who is just starting out. We thought we will have no issues, we have high speed, we have fiber optics, and still. Don't know the root cause yet, but we will be watching. Thanks for visiting and commenting. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Max-e, I am coming to Africa. I have lots of patience, lol. For us is more finding the birds, than chasing them, lol. Anna :)