Big Bird Head Shot - Cinereous Vulture

I have to tell you that I took many photos at the African Lion Safari Zoo in Cambridge, Ontario. Probably over 1000. I tried to cover every species inside the zoo, and I think I will have to come back a few more times to complete the collection.

The 1000 photos do not mean 1000 species.

So what do we have here today? This is Cinereous Vulture, not very pretty, but I like the head shot. This vulture is one of the largest birds and can weigh up to 8 kg (18 lb). They prefer mountainous terrain with low-lying plains; unfortunately, there is nothing like that at the zoo. The Cinereous Vulture is a scavenger and feeds on medium-sized or large carcasses. Believe it or not, this bird can live 35–40 years. "It breeds across southern Europe and Asia, from Spain to Korea, but is endangered throughout its European range." Read more about the Cinereous Vulture on Wikipedia.
More photos from African Lione Safari:


~ Anna

Comments

Bob Johnson said…
I love your bird head shots, very awesome, you get personality out of them. This one is a mad scientist, lol
myonlyphoto said…
Hey Bob, thanks, next time I will ask you for title suggestions, Vulture the Mad Scientist sounds cool. So how is you power engineering going? I think this is what you are taking, you mentioned in one of your posts. Anna :)
S-V-H said…
Hi Anna,

I love this guy!!!!! Very nice shot, this is a great bird portrait! Next time try to make him smile...o.k.?... LOL...
kml said…
Is this how they always look, or is this one a youngster with no feather on his head yet?

You did a fine job with him!
Max-e said…
Great photo Anna,
Brings back memories of my childhood. Within minutes of an animal dying in the bush the vulture descended. Where they came from and how they knew still remains a puzzle.
Anna, I also learn about a vulture besides seeing your nice vulture photo.
myonlyphoto said…
Susanne, thanks. Got any suggestions to make him smile, lol. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Kathy, good question. May be his other friend in the cage was picking on him. Now that you said, he looks kind of rough, or may be he is juvenile lol. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Max-e, thanks for comment. I think I know what you talking about, I watch lot of national geographic documentaries, and they show many vultures scavenging on dead ones, probably smell of the blood...Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
DigitalShutterMania thanks, glad that I could help. Anna :)
Anonymous said…
Yikes! A face only a mother could love! Still a great shot.

@kml: Vultures have featherless heads because they are always sticking them into nasty places and the lack of feathers helps them to keep cleaner.

-Will
myonlyphoto said…
Hey Will, thanks, and thanks for useful piece of information. Anna :)