Finding Time To Do What I Enjoy The Most

I was asked by Bob this question: "How do I find time to do all my photography?" I guess he also met 'while working'? The answer may be a long story, but it is simple: I always ensure that I find time for something that I enjoy the most. I will ensure that I manage "what I have to do" in a way that I enjoy it as well.

This all started with me one day getting my first digital camera and knowing that photos did not cost me anything unless I developed them—then I married my camera for life. This means I carry my camera with me to any event, to all my hiking or biking trips, to any trip I take, and even to work. I have the luxury of being a passenger in the car because I and my husband work at the same place. We save on gas and have one less vehicle to pollute on the road. We also have the luxury of driving along roads and highways that are close to parks, farmlands, or wilderness, which means we always see some animal activity from the side of the road.

Now, finding time to do the photography—since I carry my camera all the time, anything that is of interest to me I take photos of. Other times, we visit local parks during weekends, evenings, or our days off. Outdoor time is the best time we have, so why not be there? There are things in life that are more important than others, and being in nature is much better than watching TV.

Lastly, for every trip or event I attend, I take many, many photos. Two reasons: one, I like to capture every moment, and two, I am still learning, so there is a lot of experimental work going on. Lately, I have been having lots of luck, meaning fewer bad photos. My photo gallery is constantly growing in size. I have over fifty thousand photos now, and I can easily take 500–1000 photos per day trip. Too much is not good to keep and, I guess, not to share. I don't do much with it; I usually give it out to friends and family. I don't print them either, which may be because I don't like holes in the walls; however, blogging lets me put as many holes as I want on my blog screen, so this is how some of my photography finally made it to some parts of the world through my blog.

Currently, I am hoping to finish the web design, in my mind, of myonlyphoto web site. And I am also hoping that the days will have more than 24 hours per day and more than 7 days a week.

Today I got a photo of the roosters, which I took on my last trip to African Lion Safari, Cambridge—the same trip I had photographed baboons climbing the cars. Well, these guys reminded me of when I was little and was always chased by the white rooster on my parents farm. I was chased all the time, and they almost jumped on my head. There were also white geese, and they were giants, and they chased me as well. I was about 5–6 years old then. Okay, let's add more to the list; dogs were after me too. And chickens too, but only when I had food. So things reversed in life for me; now I chase the animals with my camera, but believe me, I am harmless.
~ Anna

Comments

Joanne said…
LOLs, the picture of the roosters is really cute!
David Leonard said…
I live the same as you do : always with my camera, ready to aim, to hunt the detail. Hopefully my wife is supportive too and like this artistic activity, so it is not a big deal to spend few hours working, sorting on pictures.

David
Scruffyhippo said…
Great picture anna, now I have one of the compact digi camera mine always with me too.
I thought I'd never say this about roosters because one came after me once, but that photo is heavenly!!! The feathers make me think of fluffy clouds. :D

awomansblog posted a reply to your post on my last blog entry.

Hugs, JJ
I love this post! It has such helpful practical tips in it. Great job! Your rooster photo is great with action, composition, symmetry, and a sense of humor. Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

P.S. Yes, I AM taunting you with pomegranates... hee hee.
S-V-H said…
Hi Anna
I enjoyed to read your post and like the photo of these two "guys".

If you want chase more roosters one day (with your camera of course!), come down to Key West,the whole island is full with and because they are living wild here, you will see them running all over the place! I have two earlier posts about roosters and hens with their little chickens too.
Bob Johnson said…
Cute, it looks like they're marching, I wish I could carry my big arm scope with me all the time.
myonlyphoto said…
Hi Joanne, thanks for your comment. Just read your book story, its cool. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
David, if you can buy your wife nice zoom camera, both of you will have more fun. When I got my zoom lens we got additional camera, and now we are both happy, because what I don't get, he gets. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
HAREKRISHNAJI thanks for visiting and commenting, I visited your blog, you got some nice silk there, and lots of silk. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Hi Peter, glad you got camera too, so can I expect some photos soon, lol. You had some cool shots on some of the photos, are they yours, if they are, then you got good eye yourself. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
jj now we have something in common about roosters. lol about clouds, I love clouds and I always wanted to float in them, but I don't think I will do that with roosters. Anna :)
PS thanks for the message.
myonlyphoto said…
Hi Susanne, is there something you don't have in Key West? I will look for your rooster photos, and I will put Key West on my bird watching list for roosters, lol, the list is growing.
myonlyphoto said…
Hey Bob, what do you mean you cannot carry your big arm scope with you all the time, lol - I would. I have 100-500mm lense, and I put on the tripod only once, my wrist finally healed and I regained strength. BTW, can you scope other things, like birds from far away with your telescope and take photos - they probably be all upside down, lol, anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
...I just made a mistake, I have 100-400mm lens, and I am dreaming of 100-500mm lens...lol Anna :)
kml said…
Oh Anna, I can so relate! My camera never leaves my side. I have lived on the same dirt road for 25 years - and my camera still comes on a walk with me every time. My husband has given up asking why I need it, and my kids just look at it and roll their eyes.
Anonymous said…
Anna - The number of photos you take is amazing. I have been a film photographer since I was 11, but never as prolific as you! How do you keep them all organized etc?

I now have a digital camera, but it can not compare in quality to my Nikons with their lenses. Hopefully I will eventually get a digital camera that will.

I have seen that it is not all about megapixels. My son has a 10 mp camera and the pictures are not even as good as my 3 year old 5 mp camera. Must be the quality of the lens or something.
Bob Johnson said…
Anna, I can take pics of birds if they're on the moon, they'll be upside down and backwards though, and my scope doesn't fit in the car, so to take it with me I'd have to make a dolly for it to take it where ever I go, that would look too cool pulling it behind me.
kml said…
Somebody would have to take a picture of you toting it behind, Bob. With you driving you would miss the cool effect. Thanks for the smile!
myonlyphoto said…
kml, I solved the problem with getting my husband better zoom camera so he has fun too lol. btw, sometimes I am called the family paparazzi, but when I don't bring my camera, they complain, you will never win, oh well, I guess just do you photography, you are good at it, and I enjoy it. anna :)

ps funny comment about Bob, lol
myonlyphoto said…
Will, I always organized my photos by date and the event or location, just linear organization. But I got to the point that I remembered photo but not the folder. Recently I switched to Google Picasa, did not fully optimized yet, but sounds like a good tool to manage your photos.

I don't know much about other cameras, except Canon, and the Canon CMOS sensor on my EOS 20D apparently gives the real photo feeling. My friends have Nikon, and I seen their photos, and quality is not that bad.

The mega pixel does not define the photo quality. Its more like more pixels on your image. However, all are at resolution of 72 ppi, so that means the higher the mega pixels, the larger image in size it is, and that means when you resize and change resolution presume to 200 ppi, you will get better quality image, less digitized.

I usually develop my photos at 200 ppi for 4x6 to 8x10, have not done anything larger. If you have Photoshop, I define cropping settings to 4 in width 6 in height and resolution to 200 pixels/inch. Then I drag the window around the object on the image, or grab the whole picture. This is my optimum settings. Sometimes I use Unsharp to sharpen a bit, check this post, last paragraph tells you how: http://myonlyphoto.blogspot.com/2007/08/how-to-take-photo-of-moon.html

hope it helps, anna :)
let me know if you need anything else
myonlyphoto said…
Hey Bob, why not make the dolly and may be charge 25 cents for Moon viewing, lol. You reminded me, I have photo with the air plane on the Moon, and I have one I took recently with some birds on the Moon, but they are very small dots unless enlarged. I probably make it post of it, you keep coming back because you always give me such cool post ideas lol, anna, and thanks again.
I enjoy the nudist life. I have a hard time finding others that do for the same reasons. How do I find someone
myonlyphoto said…
Trying to get Pregnant you came to the wrong place, lol. Please go somewhere else with that kind of stuff, happy holidays! Anna :)