He Finally Came To Me - The Northern Cardinal

All summer, I've been chasing the Northern Cardinal in my parent-in-law's backyard. They have many cool birds, like Baltimore Orioles and American Goldfinches, flying from tree to tree or sitting on the iron fencing and absorbing the sun.

There is also the Northern Cardinal family, but they are never still. It is just so hard to photograph them. I have a few sets of photos of them, but there is always something. Either they are too far away, behind branches, or just flying away as soon as I step forward.

Well, I was lucky that one day. One summer day (this summer), I went to the local park around the corner from Mckenzie Marsh, and lucky for me, there were cardinals flying from tree to tree. But will I get the photo I want? Well, I say again, lucky me. I was standing under one of the trees, not even thinking that anything would come my way, especially when you see a big gun like a camera. But then, as I stood there, the Northern Cardinal landed on the branch just above me, and I was able to snap five photos, only one of which was good, and here it is.
Enjoy.

~ Anna

Comments

What a beautiful bird! We don't have cardinels in our part of the US and I always wish we did. Now I have the lovely photo you've shared to look at and enjoy one of my favorite colors--RED! Thanks for the kind words you left tonight on my blog. Maybe someone is trying to tell you something about peace ;) Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage
kml said…
He is beautiful! We have a pair around that stays even in the winter. They are a welcome splash of color against all the snow.
Anna,

YAY!!! Jeff carved a cardinal and that's about how close I've gotten to one. They do tend to flit around and only stay a second or two so you can feast your eyes on their bright red feathers.

Great photo!!!

Hugs, JJ
Anonymous said…
That IS a beautiful bird. Unfortunately we do not have these in Southern Oregon. What an addition to our feeders they would be.

Can you imagine seeing a whole flock of them? I wonder if they do flock? What a site that would be!

-Will
Bob Johnson said…
Awesome photo Anna, love your site!, this one looks a little miffed you took his/her pic.
Rudy said…
lovely bird there.. i appreciate ur effort to take its pict..
David Leonard said…
This is such a nice bird. Too bad we don't have some of them here. It should be really magnificent to see them fly.
Helen Read said…
Wonderful shot! So glad you shared it. We DO have cardinals here in our part of the US, and I never get tired of them! They are beautiful - and they stay all winter. :-)
Max-e said…
He is a beauty. I do so enjoy photgraphing birds, but the seldom stand still long enough to be photographed.
myonlyphoto said…
Cindy, hey you get me the pomegranate and I can see what I can do make them fly your directions lol (just kidding). They are nice birds, and they also have distinct song. Too bad. May be you can visit this side of the world. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Kathy, never seen them on the white snow, it must be nice. May be I make this my goal for this winter. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
JJ, wow I have one too but it is store boughtone, actually it was a wedding gift that came with bird bath, unfortunately bird bath cracked, but the cardinal is still sitting under the bush all year long, until some kid will take it with him, lol. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Will, I didn't even think about it, but it will be nice to see whole flock of them. It probably will be as big red cloud. I am not sure if they fly like that. All I know that we have starlings and gulls in flocks like that, and you better not be under the cloud or you get bombed, lol, especially after barry rich lunch, lol. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Hi Helen, I haven't seen you for a while. Thanks for visiting, I saw your latest painting, I think it was tree, if you not updated to the new one - looks great. Nice that you have cardinals, now that people talk about them and the winter, I will definitely look for some in the winter. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Max-e, it is not that easy to photograph birds, unless the slow ones. Sometimes, it takes like one hour to get the bird in the view, but then another hour to shoot the bird. I am sure you have nice collection of birds in Africa. Anna :)
Awesome lovely bird photo. Great effort and thanks also for visiting my blog. Have a nice day.
Lovely bird and a great shot. Thanks for visiting my blog. Do you have a Flickr account?