Mulberry Tree Brought Some Memories Back

I was searching through my archives to find a photo for today. I had no ideas, so I just picked one year's folder, and here it is, the Mulberry tree from my 2004 photo collection. This photo of the Mulberry tree was taken here in Ontario about three years ago. Unfortunately, this tree is like a Cherry tree, always getting invaded by American Robins or Starlings, and the berries can be gone in a matter of a few days.
The tree in the photo is a very young and fruitful tree. When I looked at that photo, I remembered when I was under ten years old, and we used to have about five big, really big Mulberry trees around our old house. I also remembered that these trees were so big that we were never able to collect any berries. Oh no, it's not true. My older sister used to climb these trees, so I guess she had the privilege to eat them off the tree. The rest of us, on the other hand, collected them off the ground, washed them, and then ate them, or the birds got to them first.

The Mulberry trees were not really considered fruit trees; they were just there and had probably been growing before the house was built. But then, because these trees were so old and very close to the house, my parents eventually decided to cut them down. So every year, two trees were gone. The last one was knocked out by the strong wind in late November. Yeah, my favorite sweet berries were gone until I saw them for the first time in 2004, but then they never really tasted the same. Something about being a kid was that things were much different, bigger, and tasted better sometimes.

~ Anna

Comments

kml said…
Isn't it great how the photos can bring back such sweet memories! Thanks for sharing!
Anna,

How lovely!!! I've never seen a mulberry tree before. Thanks for sharing. :D

It's sad when favorite trees disappear. We've begun growing some willows and I hope they become majestic in a few years.

Hugs, JJ
Max Coutinho said…
Hey Anna,

It is a beautiful photo, indeed :).

yeah, there are things that call for a memory trip! I am a city girl, so I didn't get much chance to be under the trees, to enjoy nature as any person should *noddig*!

Ontario is gorgeous!

Cheers
Max-e said…
Hi Anna
Are those white mulberries? Ours over here are a deep purple - excellent when eaten in a bowl with cream. We also had a lilac coloured one on our farm up in Zimbabwe - they were not as sweet and had a more mellow taste than the purple ones. They also make a wonderful jam.
Also brings back memories of silk worms that we fed with mulberry leaves
Bob Johnson said…
Great photo Anna, never knew what a mulberry tree looked like, do the berries turn red after awhile? as much as I like trees of any sort, they would be cut down in my yard too, need the sky to open up for me, made sure I got all the berries off first, lol.
myonlyphoto said…
Kathy, you are right, I should say now that all my photos have a story behind. Glad to share my sweet memories. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
jj mulberry trees are not that popular. Now I just remembered why my parents would cut the trees down, the berries once ripe they fall on the ground, and because the trees were very close to each other they would make a big mess. Still sweet to eat, I guess wasn't fun for my parents. Willow trees, wow, I really like them, especially in the spring time, we have many here in the local parks along the rivers and ponds. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Max, thanks. I lived in semi-city, now in town, and I grew up very close to nature, and I guess now that I am older I really want more of nature. I like city, but to visit only. Thanks for visiting my blog again. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Max-e, thanks. I think these are semi-purple, and if not they have to be the purple ones because have some purple in them on the photo. The one back home, some were purple ones, and some where yellow ones. I always preferred the yellow ones. Sounds like popular tree in your area, cream sounds good, lol. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Hey Bob, I guess you are on the real mission for sky exploration and will not let anything stand on the way, lol. To answer your question, I think they turn purple afterwards, but only if birds will not get to them before. If you want tree like that I can pull some strings, lol, its good for you to eat berries. Anna :)
Peter said…
We had a mulberry tree in our backyard when we were kids. The fruit was blood red and delicious.

Mum would make mulberry pies and jam. We would climb the tree to get the fruit for her, and to throw the berries at other kids.

She never did work out how to take the stains out of clothes, faces and hands quickly.

We just had to soak for a while in the bath until we starting looking like prunes.

Regards
Peter McCartney
Sydney Australia
Lynda Lehmann said…
Lovely nostalgic post, Anna. Made me remember the huge spreading mulberry tree we used to sit under on hot summer days when we were kids, reading stories to each other.
myonlyphoto said…
Peter, looks like I was not the only one to have these trees. Its nice to see that people around the world have them too, I did not expected in Australia. Thanks for commenting. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Lynda, wow, that must have been nice to sit under the mulberry tree - nice memories to have. Nice to have you back, Anna :)