Moon Photography: Full Harvest Moon - Not Exactly

Unfortunately, it's a cloudy evening here. It looked like it was clearing out, but then it was on the wrong side of the sky. It did not stop me from taking my camera for a walk. First, I was able to snap the sunset while we were driving home. I was still hoping for the real Harvest Moon, as big as I used to see it. Perhaps next time.


After dinner, I went to check out the moon. The full moon was there, but the clouds were still passing by, making it too difficult to capture a sharp photo. I snapped a few photos for my collection. However, I was fortunate to snap a photo with a bird on the moon—the passing bird by the moon. It's a dot, but as I enlarge it a bit, I can see a couple of wings.
Sunset, Aurora, Ontario, Sep 26, 2007, 06:47 PM EST
Aurora, Ontario, Sep 26, 2007, 08:53 PM EST
Aurora, Ontario, Sep 26, 2007, 08:56 PM EST

I think someone else had better luck than me this time. Check out Bob's blog at Blackholes and Astrostuff.

"The definition of a Harvest Moon is: the full moon closest to the fall equinox. The Harvest Moon was thus named because it rises within a half-hour of when the sun sets. In early days, when farmers had no tractors, it was essential that they work by the light of the moon to bring in the harvest. This moon is the fullest moon of the year. When you gaze at it, it looks very large and gives a lot of light throughout the entire night. No other lunar spectacle is as awesome as the Harvest Moon." - Unknown Source ~ Anna

Comments

S-V-H said…
The moon is beautiful, Anna! Excellent photo, my compliments!
kRiZcPEc said…
I love the first two shots, and the second best--the last one seem cropped too much into the moon, leaving it too little room. Any more photos? Love to see more.
Bob Johnson said…
Hi Anna way to go, by the way it is a harvest moon, just not low on the horizon, great shots, isn't taking pics of the moon fun?! I took one of the horizon as well without the moon but with a rainbow, post them all this Saturday, even the ones I got yesterday of the 95% harvest moon, has a slight yellow tinge to it, looks cool though.
Scruffyhippo said…
brilliant pictures anna, always love your moon pics :)
Pete M said…
Love the moon shots, I tried to take a couple from the ship in alaska, not quite as good as yours, lost some detail due to movement of the ship
Anonymous said…
Beautiful! I was wishing last night that I had a camera to take photos just like what you did. The moon was so bright last night that I thought we had left the outdoor lights on when I went to bed! It was fabulous to look at.
Glorious moon shots, Anna.

Some contractor cut through a fiberoptic telephone line and my phone is just working again. Drove me nuts waiting because this is a special blogger's day.

Hugs, JJ
kml said…
Love the moon pics - and the sunset is gorgeous!
Lynda Lehmann said…
Thanks for sharing your sense of wonder with us. I enjoyed your post!
Anonymous said…
Hi Anna! Great pictures, as usual. I believe I read somewhere that it was an illusion that the Harvest Moon is bigger or brighter than other full moons, but it looks so to me. My son commented around 10:00 pm the night before last that it "was as bright as day outside".
Can't wait to see your pictures of the Hunter's Moon which is also known as the Blood Moon and is the first full moon after the Harvest Moon.

-Will
myonlyphoto said…
Susanne, thanks for you kind comments, as always.

Kriz Cpec, thanks, I will try next time reduce my cropping technique. However, if you click on the Moon tag, there are many Moon photos, and more will be coming as long there is a Moon around.

Thanks Bob, yeah I know lol just I really like the moon on the horizon, when we have clear sky here almost every full moon is that bright. I will check your blog for your photos, and you got rainbow too, wow. Lucky you, lol.

Peter (scruffyhippo), for you I will always make sure I have Moon photo. Even they look the same every time, it does not matter, because it is different day. Hope you web site project is going well.

Peter, thank you for your comments. Wow, Alaska, been dreaming about this trip for long time, may be one day, and Moon at the same time. Sometimes when I don't have chance to capture something on camera, I try to capture in my mind, and have those memories last forever. And btw thanks for visit my blog regularly.

Lynne, thanks for you comment. Yes, the Moon was beauty, we had clouds here, so it looked a bit scary. However, like I said to Peter, whatever you cannot capture on camera, just enjoy - something like should never be stressful, you will have many more Moons to see.

JJ, now you too, hope I did not pass bad luck to you. Thanks for your comments, and visiting. We still have issue with line dropping for hours, now seems like they found issue on the street not just in our house. Seems okay as I am typing now, hope not to loose this post, lol.

Thanks, Kathy. Just wondering you do much photography, have you tried taking Moon photos? If not I would try some night photography, its fun usually when you surrounded by darkness, and never know who walks around you, lol.

Lynda, thanks and thanks for visiting again.

Will thanks for useful information, and your are probably right about the illusion, but I like that illusion, lol. And oh no there is Hunter Moon? Wow, I will be then waiting again to make sure I get it. This year was very productive year for me, I learned a lot about Birds and the Moon.

Thanks all for visiting, commenting, it is always appreciated. Anna :)
Dick said…
I didn't know why it is named Harvest moon, good to know now. thank you. I like your photography it's very good.
myonlyphoto said…
Dick, I did not know about harvest moon either, as a matter of fact, when I started to blog, I been learning so much and getting lot of support and expertiese from others. Thank you again for commenting. Anna :)