Emotions, Necessities, Material Things and Photography

Well, I have all kinds of other subjects discussed on my blog besides photography, so why not tell you this?

This year was the year of a few big purchases for us in the house and for my business. A piece of furniture for the kitchen that had been missing for 10 years was finally purchased. Norton Security for my laptop expired. A new set of house windows needed to be replaced (the builder did not prime original one, so they were practically destroyed by moisture and sun). Finally, the lease expired on the business car, so we needed to get a new vehicle.

My general question is, "What happened to customer service these days?" I am not clear, but having major issues 4-5 times in a row that is for sure not a coincidence. Whether you want to hear it or not, I will tell you anyway, especially, how much time I wasted with each issue.

Kitchen furniture, which took 3 months to deliver, finally arrived in the 6th month due to their backlog and a whole bunch of corrections. So then we thought we had designed a custom piece that required extra work; however, the maker still did not do what we asked for, and they were not able to revert as per blue print. I find this a lot lately: we ask for one thing, and we get something else, and then the seller doesn't tell you; they just go with the flow and hope you will accept. We did.

Norton Security 2007, miscommunication again, and someone from India trying to resolve the problem on my laptop for 8 hours straight. Then on the end they stick in our face that it is our computer problem. Clearly it was not.

House windows: we went for one that was better quality and we paid extra. The biggest price tag was on the arched window, which was also the most expensive window. Negotiating down did not work because the salesman had explained to us how difficult the job is. We caved in. Okay, at least the arch will be a one-piece, but it wasn't. It was installed as two pieces and in addition - misaligned, with a big joint in the middle hard to ignore. All this, in addition to non-matching trim to other windows - our other argument. And, they will be replacing three pieces of glass due to coating defects. This has been going on since the beginning of August and is still going on, with us calling them all the time. So far, I've had people come in and out of the house to look at it. How about fixing it one day?

We are starting to lose hope, but life goes on. We returned our last leased vehicle having minor issues with the car and dealership. Don't need to worry, we don't have to deal with them anymore. We have decided to go to another car dealership with a supposedly high-end service. To our surprise, vehicle pick-up is delayed by five days because first they did not clean the outgoing vehicle properly, or so-called detailing. The car also had a broken sensor linkage, and then transmission oil leaked on our driveway. In the end, it was all a minor fix, but five days of wasted time and an oil stain on the driveway. We are still waiting for compensation and an extra key. Still waiting for the survey to come along—oh, I will be investing my time into this survey; just watch me. This vehicle was a demo; therefore, sometimes it is expected to have minor issues, but they did not inspect or clean it before giving it to us as promised. The best part was that the vehicle was not cleaned, so the sales guy brought the service guy and told me to tell him where I wanted it cleaned and he would do it now. This looked to me like a 5-minute job, and if they want to play like that, I told them I am taking this car home and I will wipe the car myself. You wouldn't believe how clean the car was the next day. But still, on delivery, we found some nice chicklet candy between the seat and the seat belt. It took us a while to take it out—maybe it was the angry cleaner. Before I forget, the funny thing was that after their first mistake, they gave us baseball caps to apologize, which still had the store magnet attached. So that day we had two things in the house: a car we could not drive, sitting on the driveway with a transmission oil leak, and a baseball cap with a big magnetic bar attached to it—try wearing that, LOL.

Today is the day when I completely lost hope for customer service. We kept getting automated messages from the last leased car credit company. I kept ignoring it because it was the computer calling us: "please call the company at 1-800-...," and that's it; no nerve to leave an appropriate message. Finally, I called today, and they asked me what the problem was: "I said you tell me, you called me." The reason I ignored the messages was because everything was done properly upon return: all the payments (24 of them) were completed, and the vehicle was returned the day it was due. The story is that it took us all day to talk to them (4 people in total, from clerk to team leader and 1 dealer) and try to convince them that for a 2-year lease there are 24 payments and not 25 payments. And this is a true story: they were reading the contract incorrectly and wanted 25 payments because some other person gave them the incorrect return date. Funny, they did not buy that when we told them to check that part. The best part was that they already marked me for a bad credit rating and charged me an additional 2 dollars of interest. The day concluded with the apology call and excuses on their part, which I was just too fed up with to argue with.

After all this, let's look at the bright side. I purchased my 100-400mm Canon lens this year, and knock on wood, so far, so good. The bright side is that I do sometimes care about these things, but most of the time I don't care because it all will be sorted out in the end, and for that stuff I have the ability to separate myself and just go to sleep like nothing happened. Sometimes I just talk about it, but then, oh well.
Today's photo does not really reflect my emotions because when I do photography and enjoy nature, I ignore the less important parts of my life. These are just material things that, unfortunately, are necessities sometimes; however, they are not worth my stress. But, they are worth telling. BTW, there is nothing wrong with the bird; he is just scratched his head and is cleaning his beak after eating. However, my sister thinks the House sparrow is possessed. I took this photo last November from my kitchen window.

~ Anna

Comments

Bob Johnson said…
Anna too cute birdie, very nice shot! Yes in my dealings with all kinds of contractors and people, customer service is on the way down, too much work out there, people, contractors and businesses don't care anymore, it's too bad but that's the way it seems to be going.
myonlyphoto said…
Bob, thanks. You are correct too much work out there, businesses are getting greedy, hire none skilled low pay employees - that is why is so hard for me to blame the customer service reps sometimes because they been told to do their job and not the way the job should be done, otherwise you are out - lack of training too. I blame the top. I had this idea to write two letters, one Letter of Disappointment that I can use for disappointments, and Letter of Satisfaction if I am satisfied. You know I have my own business, but I have only three clients keeping me 100% busy, and I declineed other offers in the past because I know that I will not be able to fulfill, otherwise I will have to also give up photography and blogging, and I don't think I want to do that, lol. Anna :)
Bob Johnson said…
That's a good idea about the pre doing the letters while a person is in a neutral mood, means more if it is done logically and with clear thinking as opposed to being upset and rude and nasty.
kRiZcPEc said…
hi again, I almost wanted to ask if the sparrow is dead...so it was scratching its head...nice capture.

Very sorry to read your unsatisfactory experiences. I like your idea: prepare two letters in advance, send them one if they upset you and the other if you're happy. LOL.

Keep shooting and blogging. :D
myonlyphoto said…
This is absolutely correct, that is why I usually sit or sleep on anything crazy stuff that happens around here in stead of reacting immediately - in stead I can act profesionally next day. Nice to know what we are both on the same page.
myonlyphoto said…
kRiZ cPEc, glad that you made it to the end of the story. And thanks, I think now that I think twice these letters may be good. Even just writing good letters all the time, it will encourage people to do and continue to do the good job. Thanks for commenting, Anna :)
When you've got an itch, you gotta scratch it, right? Great photo! Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage
Helen Read said…
Anna, this is a really cute picture! Sounds like you had a long week! Hope the next one will be easier :)
Thanks for your kind comments on my blog!
The cutest bird photo EVER, Anna!!! You sure capture creature personalities!!! I enjoy your blog!!! It's a highlight of the internet. :D

{{{HUGS!!!}}} to your costumer service problems. Jeff and I have all but given up on seeking help anymore. It's sooooo stressful.

Hugs, JJ
Livingsword said…
Anna;

As a friend sometimes it is best to simply sit back and genuinely listen to what is on their heart, please feel that is what I have done while reading your words here.

As per the amazing image of the bird…I am thankful we have hands that can do the scratching, wonderful little treasure with that petite creature…
kml said…
Oh Anna, I am so glad he is scratching his head! I gave a quick glance to the pic before I read the post, and I thought he was dead.

As I started reading your post I kept thinking, oh no, he flew into that arched window and knocked himself out.

All I could think was that is all Anna needs now after this horrible week is to have this poor bird on her porch.

So relieved it was a good ending after all for him. Like you said - the rest is not worth getting too stressed out on - I will have to try to keep that attitude myself!

Hope next week is better for you - take a few pics with the 100-400 lens - that is bound to make any day better!
myonlyphoto said…
Cindy you are absolutely right. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Helen thank you too for visiting and commenting. Your work is always full of surprises. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
jj thanks for your kind comment. Yeah its not worth stress. I am letting go my so called prefectionist personality. The problem is everyone promises perfect stuff, but I think I should ask them every time - what is your definition of perfect? I have a feeling everyone has different standards. Thanks again. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
livingsword, thank you for your kind comments and listening. Came to conclusion these are material things that are not worth stress. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Oh Kathy, you made me laugh. I knew that sometimes people just go for the image, and not the text, and with photo like that I knew everyone will see different things. I actually was surprised by this shot, and if you did not see them do that before, yeah he kind of looked dead, lol. Thanks for you comments Kathy as always. My camera is always handy and ready to use anytime, lol, sometimes it is with my cooking stuff around, just in case, lol. Anna :)
Peter said…
Sorry to hear about the trouble your having. It's good to get it off your chest. By expressing it here with friends, including me, you will hopefully get sound advise or a keen ear to hear you out.

In regards to the photo, it looks like me after blogging for hours on the computer.

Regards
Peter McCartney
Sydney Australia
myonlyphoto said…
Thanks Peter for your kindness. You are correct sometimes it is easier to get off your chest, and writing it once makes it better, than telling everyone here the same story over and over again, because on the end it does not matter. Funny comment about the bird, may be after all he was not only scratching his head but also resting, lol. Anna :)
Anonymous said…
What a story. As has been said, "life is what happens to you while you are making other plans"!

By the way: A few years ago I got fed up with all things Norton and Symantec and banned them from all of our computers. Things have been much better since. I would suggest to everyone to never let anything made by Symantec on to your computer. If you by a new computer with it pre-installed, first thing to do is to get it all cleaned off!
myonlyphoto said…
Thanks Will. Yeah Symantec been causing lot of issues. The problem is that uses lot of resources after while, that I have to close all the windows and start over again. Soon as this one expires, I will be looking for new things in the market. I think the biggest issue is the compatibility. When software releases are released around the same time, usually more bugs are expected, because they really don't know how to work with each other until someone presses one button and everything crashes, lol. Thanks again Will for useful information. Anna :)
Robbay said…
Love your bird stories.
Robbay said…
Love your bird stories.
myonlyphoto said…
Robbay thank you for your comment, now I know why you like my bird photos, lol, you have some bird cartoons. Anna :)
Lynda Lehmann said…
Wow, Anna, you had a lot of unfortunate and unnecessary aggravation with all these things. But you are right, in the end they're not the things that matter so much.

How you feel about your photography and capturing the beauty you find in life, is much more important!

Still, I will wish for better customer service in your future!

This is why my husband feels he has to do everything himself. Too many contractors and businesses are dysfunctional and unreliable, as you have pointed out!

You've ended this post on an upward note, with the adorable bird photo!
myonlyphoto said…
Lynda thank you so much for getting through this lenghty post. I agree with your husband, I am the same way, I tend to do all myself whatever I can because it is hard to find someone who can do the job to my expectations, or at least what they promised. BTW we will be getting two windows replaced from scratch, its ia pain, but better than looking at the holes in the frame that cannot be fixed. Thanks again for reading, and your comments. And yeah, the real me doesn't really care, but I just wanted to teach the contractor a lesson, this is an evil me, lol. Thanks for the wishes, Anna :)