Spring Transformations Experiments - A Red Bean Seed To A Green Plant

Have you ever wondered? I always do. Let me tell you about my recent spring experiment (yes, I am waiting patiently by creating my own small gardens in the house). In the jar, I placed some cotton and water, two red bean seeds (my dry food supplies), and exposed them all to the sun's light. Then I observed germination (the same thing I observed when I soaked my peas or beans for too long). Then I observed beans sprouting, but unfortunately only one of them. The roots formed and grew into the cotton, allowing the stem to grow freely with support. On the other side of the shell, the stem with the leaves unfolded. All this from a red bean, the water, and the sun—a beautiful transformation.

During seed germination, the growing plant absorbs nutrients from the seed, and once the roots are long enough, they draw additional nutrients from the ground (but not in my case). Once the roots are fully formed, they are also able to draw water. But where do the extra cells come from? Not just from the water?

Plants, with the help of sun energy, absorb the carbon dioxide gas and release a by-product known as oxygen. The carbon molecules form plants cells. The sun, in addition, helps form other nutrients for the plant. All this is done with the help of solar energy, a process also called photosynthesis. So this is my simple explanation of the simple transformation from a red bean to the green plant you see in the photo. There is more to it, but if I go into all the details, this post will be a botany lesson. On a side note, I attempted to do the same with onions and quinoa—not very successful experiments. Barley, chickpeas, and green peas are next (smile)—or - or what ever I will find in my pantry.
Let's see how far my plant grows. If I am successful and it starts flowering, I may have some beans. I am glad that I do not need any honey bees or insects to pollinate the bean plant. Beans have self-pollinating flowers. Lucky me, because I do not want to be attacked again by an army of flies. Something that happened to me a few years ago.

However, as I see this red bean growing in front of my eyes, I still wonder about many things.

I wonder. How does the red bean know to produce another red bean, and how does it know to have roots, then a stem, then leaves, and then flowers? How does it know to die after a few months of working hard and grow back again from the produced seed? And how about the seed that has been packaged and stored in a sealed plastic bag for months, yet after being exposed to water, it is able to produce a plant? It is all part of the genetic code, just like a computer code. I guess programming was very well known before we even existed. Just in a different form. Who in the world orchestrated all this? How? Why?

Tough questions, but then, by the end of the day, we just have to say what Frank Lloyd Wright said: "Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you." And I will add: "Photograph nature."

~ Anna

[Previously published on My Only Photo Journey Blog]

Comments

Bob Johnson said…
Beautiful post and image Anna, one of God's little miracles.
Eqlektik said…
Nice picture.....The essence of life and vigor.
Will said…
Interesting Anna. And that is one healthy looking bean leaf! I sprout bean seeds too. But then I eat them. :-) By the way I really like the way you framed the photo. And I like this font and the gray background here on this blog. Easier for these old eye to read!
holdingmoments said…
Interesting post Anna. Questions I don't know the answers to, but the quote at the end says it all for me.
Especially that last sentence; 'It will never fail you'.
Anya said…
Very interesting Anna :-)
Thanks for the tips !!!!

Have a wonderful day
Anya :-)
RuneE said…
If spring is late - make your own! :-)

PS As for orchestration - the main story was told in a book call "The origin of the species"...
Dave Coulter said…
I can't wait to get started gardening this spring!
Ann: That is a neat thing to watch and even better when in a row in the garden.
George said…
Thanks for an interesting, informative post. I hope you do get flowers on your plant (along with more pictures!).
Rajesh said…
Wonderful experience and beautiful image.
Anonymous said…
The new look is great Anna! Nice and clean looking. Nice shot as well ... so fitting for the weather we are having. Spring is early and so is my outdoor work. As for the questions .. I'll ask my son...he's a Geneticist. Mind you I might be setting myself up for a short course if I do that ... lol. Anyways, take care. Have a great week!
~JD
beanow said…
So beautiful green...
Bee said…
It is a vast mystery, isn't it? And even if someone explains the HOW to you, we still don't really understand the underlying WHY, do we?

BTW, we always did this experiment at school. I wonder how many children do?

I feel like I undergo my own kind of photosynthesis in the spring. The sun fills me with energy and bubbling happiness. This morning I discovered a hyacinth that had bloomed overnight . . . or perhaps with the early morning sun?
Nature is verty interesting subject to study and I really love photographing nature very much.
What Karen Sees said…
I love your quote by Frank Lloyd Wright. That's how if feel, especially with your addition! Whenever I'm down or need a spiritual high, spending intimate time with nature and my camera is usually the cure. My personal view is that this amazing process is so incredible, it just must be by divine design. Here in Utah, my tulips are just peeking through. I can hardly wait to look through my lens and see the bright colors of spring! P.S. I love your blogs, I'll be stopping by often, and thanks for your kind comments on mine!
Marvin said…
So you're switching blog domains?
johnny said…
Siempre me gusto hacer este experimento cuando iba al colegio. Gracias por tu visita.
Saludos
Tatiana said…
Very interesting experiment Anna, loved the explanation of it all and the photo too - have a great week ahead my friend ;)
RW said…
Silly Anna don't you know you need "magic beans"! ;)
Ruth said…
How does Nature know? We had 8 chicks hatch recently. They knew how to peck out of the shell. They knew how to walk when they emerged! All the little hairy feathers were there. It's astonishing.

Godspeed to your beautiful bean plant.
Birdy Official said…
Love to red about your experiment. I also love growing seasonal vegetables. Recently I germinate biter gourd seeds in a small pot. I enjoyed every moment of their growth. I will share the pictures in coming days.
Michele said…
What a lovely post indeed! I really never gave such deep insight to creation until I read this, or at least not for such a long time. It really does put a different perspective on life, doesn't it? Beautiful post, wonderful image.
Thank you for dropping by, it's always a pleasure to see you.
James Owens said…
Thank you, Anna, for these thoughts. In the end, it is true -- we can learn so much about how this happens, but we know nothing about why... We stand silent and wonder....
Ty said…
Ciao Anna,a presto!
Nancy J. Locke said…
An AWESOME post and photo, Anna!!! How lovely that you watch nature so closely and revel in the miracle of it. I bet Matthew loves watching it too! Loooove the quote!

Happy Weekend!

JJ
What a great post Anna with most interesting questions too. Nature is fascinating ALL of the time and I always think we will have more questions than answers.

There is a solution to the fly problem - grow a tomato plant on a sunny window ledge in your kitchen and you will have no flies around.

Thank you for all your wonderful comments while I was away. Gaelyn and I had a fantastic trip and I will be post pics from it by next week or as soon as I can catch up on all these interesting posts I missed. :)
kRiZcPEc said…
Yeah right, photograph nature! That's what I would say!
Jeevan said…
Too smart anna! Interesting post. Your simple experiment teach us something and hope these queries would feed gain to brain.

well captured :)
~mantamola~ said…
Life is beautiful! How can we not capturing every moment of beautiful life? ;)
How smart of you to add "Photography", very important!...*smile*... - I loved your post Anna!
Kahshe Cottager said…
Thank you for your recent visit to my blog. It is always nice to have a new visitor! (I am an off and on blogger these days it seems!)
Nature is amazing and will always surprise you. Very thought provoking post!
--JB
Chris Chisu said…
Now i know where to buy my vegetables Ana.I am in Romania now, this week i will leave for Cyprus for a photo workshop there. I like the look of your blog now.
Dave Coulter said…
Nature is why I have never regretted chosing the line of I work that I did. A fine post!
MedaM said…
Anna, that is one of God’s little miracles created for us to explore, use, enjoy… this is really beautiful post. I really enjoyed reading about your experiment. Last Saturday was a lovely spring day, sunny and warm. I was feeling great; so happy and full some positive energy. I prepared the soil from all of my flower pots on the terrace for new flowers to grow. I have lots of flower pots because my garden is too tiny and in shade so there is no anything else I can grow in it except some flowers which don’t need much sun. But what I want to tell you is that I took a plastic basin (about 60x40cm) and planted some onion which I love so much to eat with its green part (I don’t know how to say it in English). It is not problem to buy some at the market but I want to see my own onion growing and I cannot wait to its germination. :-)
Max Coutinho said…
Hey Anna,

I have one answer for you: God. God did all that. For what? To nourish us and embellish the world :D.

Lovely post, my darling :D!
Have a blessed weekend!

Cheers
Swubird said…
Anna:

A wonderful article. You must be a fun person to live with, so interesting, always experimenting, and doing new things. Bravo.

This post reminded me of the time in grade school when we all put a sweet potato in a fruit jar of water and watched the roots grow until they filled the entire thing. Science is wonderment for little kids.

Happy trails.
KML said…
I like the way you set up this blog within your other one - good job!

Great post Anna - bet Matthew loved watching this one grow!

Aren't we lucky to be here on this planet with all these miracles around us!
Sandee said…
Second place goes to Anna of My Only Photo with:

What are you looking at, have you not seen the new version of Michelin man yet?

Congratulations. :)