Protective Males - Red Wing Black Bird & Canada Goose

I am always on the lookout for new birds, but I am out of luck this year. Same birds as last year: a bunch of Red-winged Blackbirds and Canada Goose. Not to mention that their population has also increased more than usual.
Red-winged Blackbird [female]
We also have American Robins, which are the most common birds hanging out around residential areas. I remember one incident when, in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, many moons ago, we met a man walking back from the four-hour trail. He told us what he saw: a moose, a bear, and one American Robin. We smiled. I don't really mind American Robins because they have a very pleasant song, but I am starting to mind too many photos of them.

So far, I have been able to see hummingbirds only once. I found them on a local trail around my house. I saw them for a few seconds, and they were gone. Every year they come to see my chestnut tree, but not this year because the tree is already losing flowers and the nuts are starting to form.
Red-winged Blackbird [male]
But what can I say? Having the usual is better than nothing. On the first photo is a female Red Wing Black bird. Amazing contrast in plumage between the female and the male red wing. Followed by the photo of a screaming or signing Red Wing Black bird male. They usually make a lot of noise when people pass by their nests. Males are very protective.
Canada Goose
Another very protective bird is the Canada Goose. This one would jump on the railing close by where the nest was and hiss at everyone passing by. I used to be scared, but I have noticed that if you do nothing and just walk, they will only give you a warning.

Well, my three-year-old bird continues to grow, sing, dance, and run. The latest and greatest is the Superman boy named Matthew.

~ Anna

[Previously published on My Only Photo Journey Blog]

Comments

Peter said…
One good thing, by the sound of things, is that you're not having trouble with feral birds. Here Indian Myna birds are taking over and in the process scaring the native birds away.

As for protective males, many moons ago when my future wife and I were working as student nurses, I happened to speak to a patient about his behaviour towards her. Low and behold, my wife to be gave me a polite tongue lashing for being protective of her. Go figure!

Take Care,
Peter
Zbyszek said…
Piękne, piękne zdjęcia i wielki wyczyn żeby je zrobić. Pamiętam jak kiedyś chciałem sfotografować kosa, co ja się nabiegałem... Pozdrawiam Aniu gorąco.
Marvin said…
When geese challenge me, I challenge them back. They always back down. ;-)
George said…
These may be common birds for you, but the pictures are uncommonly good. I like the one of the goose warning you to stay away from his nest.
Beautiful pictures, Anna.... We have both of them here ---but I have a hard time getting pictures of the blackbirds. They don't come near the bird feeders..

Hugs,
Betsy
Marka said…
Very nice collection! We've got quite a few geese and ducks here at the local pond, but I've not had my camera out to photograph them.
Neeraj said…
On way to my sister's house one day, I saw a falcon on an electricity pole.. ever since then every time I go to her home I take my camera with me hoping to see it again.. but no luck so far :(
Jeevan said…
Superb! Photography means anna, that much your photos impress me being simple and greater in detail. That’s nice to have unusual and common birds instead of having nothing. Hummingbirds are hardly visible and capturing them is a tough task. Hope u capture them soon.
My best wish to you and Matthew.
joshi daniel said…
so clear and sharp and the birds looks so beautiful!
Max Coutinho said…
Hi Anna,

You always capture birds in such a delightful fashion. Whenever I look at your captions I feel in synch with nature :). Thank you.

Cheers
Neeraj said…
No Seagulls? :)
kRiZcPEc said…
hi, lovely birds, make me itching to take some photo of those feathered fellows. :)
Will said…
Hi Anna - I was thinking of you and all your beautiful photos of birds today when I was eating an orange at work. As I sat there two quail and their brood came out of the grass just a few feet away. The babies must have been only a day or two old. They were no larger than a hens egg with feet. So cute.
RuneE said…
I'm impressed. "New" birds all the time - and nice ones too. I seem never to be able to get passed the gulls
Tatiana said…
Such a great captures Anna! I am not so into birds myself, and can only enjoy yours and learn about them from what you write. Wishing you a great summer and talk soon dear ;)
beanow said…
Aniu, these are lovely shot.
Greetings from Polish :)
Kelly said…
...I saw a lot of Red-winged Blackbirds today too...and got a lot of scolding from the males as I walked through the meadow. Your photos of the male and female are gorgeous.
Jennie said…
Always enjoy your bird photos Anna! I love the red wing black bird. So pretty . Would be awesome to capture a humming bird. I love them. Lovely work.
Katie said…
Wonderful images! I love the natural colors of these birds (Tans, browns and blacks).
Phil Slade said…
I know Red-winged Blackbirds are very common but they were a great favorite of mine in Canada - just love their strident calls. Nice photo you got there Anna.
kRiZcPEc said…
Hi, I'd like to know how to create the "read more" link please?
kRiZcPEc said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Swubird said…
Anna:

Unbelievable pictures. Absolutely stupendous. I would love to have such talent.

Happy trails.
Lynda Lehmann said…
You're right, Anna, that some of the same old birds, is better than nothing. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos. I'm glad the male goose let you slide by....

I'm always happy too, to hear how much you are enjoying Matthew's growing years! :)
Love the bird shots and of course the Canada Goose! We have the red wings here but so far mom has not been able to get a nice shot of one yet.
--JB
Anonymous said…
Nice to see the couple, side by side, so to speak.