Black Capped Chickadee My New Backyard Friend

Today I stayed home. I guess it was one of those days I needed to collect myself. I am still not collected yet, and it is after 3 p.m. I am just hovering around the house. Looking at all the things I have to do. So why not? I will just write a post instead. Today is also my husband's birthday. I am making dinner tonight. There will be roasted potatoes, some grilled sausages (I love sausages; must be the European thing), and greens on the menu. Roasted potatoes are our favourite, and I wouldn't want to miss making them on a day like this.

So, I finally started getting some exotic birds in my backyard—black-capped - Black Capped Chickadees. I spotted this little bird accidentally while walking by the window. There he was on the tree, eating lunch. My camera was ready to go. I took a few shots through the window, just in case it flew away when I opened the door. He just flew to another branch. First, I didn't know where, but then I found him.
He was actually sitting behind me and looking in my direction. I shot a few photos. Moved closer. I shot another set of photos and moved closer again until I couldn't. But he was there, sitting and still looking at me. I tried to feed him seeds from my hand. Nothing happened, and then he flew away.

~ Anna

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, these little guys are one of my favorites. They are not around here in Oregon until later in the fall. Usually I am out raking leaves in Oct or Nov when I will hear their distinctive call. We get quite a few of them for a couple months then they thin out. They are back in force for a few weeks in the spring then gone again until the next fall.

It's a real nice photo.
Bob Johnson said…
Anna the little guy is so cute, you take great pics, Happy birthday to your husband!
David Leonard said…
Great shot! The story is funny, I was thinking of somebody getting closer of a little bird like this one with a hudge lens, which is ten times is size. It will surely looks like a giant predator eye for him.

I'm not so sure that sausages is European thing but roasted potatoes are for sure an American one, isn't it?

Have a nice day!
David
kml said…
He is certainly a beauty, Anna, and you captured him perfectly! My sister lives in Maine and these little guys are everywhere - we have quite a few here in NH too. If you are persistent, and spend time being around them, they will land on your hand and eat the seeds. My sister has pics of herself and my niece with them eating out of their hands. That has got to be quite the feeling!
Jaya said…
What a lovely
plump little
fellow!

Happy birthday
to your husband.

(By the way, the
first sentence is
in reference to the
bird, and not your
husband.)
myonlyphoto said…
Will, I hope to see them in the winter, it seems like there are out more thank in mid summer. Thanks for comment, Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Yeah he is, and actually he is more cuter if you don't look through a lens. Thanks Bob for wishes, appreciated. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Hi David, yeah I was afraid to scare him, but seems the young ones are more cooperative. Yeah roasted potatoes are probably American one, because back in Europe, mashed potatoes were in style lol. Yeah sausages is European thing, at least where I grew up all we ate, and ham, once in Germany they served me sausages - the best, lol. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Jaya, you always make me laugh, I think that lovely plump little fellow is close enough for my husand lol (just kidding, just in case he is reading this comment). Thanks for visiting. Anna :)
myonlyphoto said…
Kathy, in that case I will be keep trying hopefully one day I will be able to get them on my hand, and have my husband around to take the photo. I think he got one with butterfuly on my head, and he missed on when I made a grand landing in the ditch pulling stuns going through a rough road, lol. Anna :) Thanks for sharing.